Kagoshima City > Emergency & Natural Disasters > Preparing For Sudden Disasters

Main content starts here.

Preparing For Sudden Disasters

Thorough day-to-day preparations

Carry only the minimum necessities with you when you evacuate. It is important not to be too greedy. An indicator of approximate weight is 15kg for men and 10kg for women. Try to fit everything into a rucksack that is easy to carry on your back.

  • Portable radio
    To get accurate information so you are not misled by false rumors. A light, compact radio that receives both FM and AM is best. Don't forget spare batteries.
  • Flashlight, candles
    Essential for blackouts or moving around at night. Don't forget spare batteries. Candles should be thick and stable.
  • Helmet (or protective padded hood)
    To protect your head from falling objects such as roof tiles and signs. Many falls also occur along escape routes, so make sure you pack one.
  • Emergency rations and water
    Emergency rations, like hardtack, should be able to be eaten without being heated. Water should be mineral water or the like. Don't forget powdered milk, etc. if you have a baby.
  • Housewares
    Lighter (matches), knife, can opener, tissues, plastic bags, etc. Don't forget a feeding bottle, etc. if you have a baby.
  • Clothes
    Underwear, coat, gloves, socks, handkerchief, towel, etc. Don't forget diapers, etc. if you have a baby.
  • First-aid medical supplies, household medicines
    Adhesive plasters, gauze, bandages, triangular bandage, disinfectant, antipyretics, digestive medicine, cold medicine, painkillers, eye drops, tweezers, etc. Don't forget your regular medicines if you have a recurrent medical condition.
  • Bankbooks, certificates, seals
    Passbooks for deposits and savings accounts, health insurance card, license, etc. A copy of your address book can also be handy.
  • Cash
    As well as paper money, you should also prepare some 10-yen coins to use in public telephones.

Things that were useful during the Great Hanshin Earthquake

10-yen coins, dry shampoo, body wash, whistle, plastic water container, portable cooking stove, crowbar, household medicines, spare (eye) glasses, hearing aid, etc.

*The Great Hanshin Earthquake was a large-scale earthquake that occurred on the 17th of January 1995 in Southern Hyogo Prefecture. 

Don't forget equipment for extinguishing fires and rescuing people

In case of fires or collapsed houses, etc. following an earthquake, you should also prepare fire extinguishers and other firefighting equipment as well as tools that can be used in rescue activities.

Fire extinguishers, triangular buckets, leaving water in the bath, etc. Shovel, crowbar, saw, car jack, etc.

Anshin Network 119

Emails are used to distribute information about natural disasters such as fires, disaster prevention for typhoons etc. in addition to information regarding evacuation advisories and the opening of evacuation shelters.

How to register

Send a blank message/email to ansin119@kagoshima-fd.jp using the mobile phone or computer which you want to receive information on.

Register with the following address -


Shelters for evacuation during a disaster

An evacuation shelter is a place where people gather during a disaster. 240 locations, including elementary schools, have been designated as evacuation sites. One way of checking where your closest evacuation site is by contacting SunSunCall Kagoshima.


SunSunCall Kagoshima
TEL 099-808-3333


When evacuating on your own initiative, contact the Community Welfare Division (099-216-1244) or the Welfare Division/Health & Welfare Division at your local branch office.

List of Shelters

 List of Shelters(PDF:914KB)

Support System for People Requiring Assistance during a Disaster

A system by which certain people, who require some kind of assistance in the event a disaster is likely to strike, or has already struck, can receive support in their local community which facilitates their evacuation. Such people include the elderly and disabled, etc. who might find it difficult to evacuate quickly on their own or who cannot easily get support from their own family.

People eligible for assistance during a disaster

People who fall under any of the following categories, who want community support in the event of a disaster, etc., and who have agreed to provide necessary personal information in order to receive the support:

  • A person certified as a recipient of services under the nursing-care insurance system, and whose care level is between 3 and 5
  • A recipient of a physical disability certificate, whose degree of disability is category 1 or 2
  • A recipient of an intellectual disability certificate, whose degree of disability is assessed as category A
  • A recipient of a mental disability certificate, whose degree of disability is category 1
  • An elderly person who lives alone, or who lives only with other elderly people
  • Any other person for whom support is deemed necessary in the event of a disaster, etc.

What is an evacuation supporter?

A person who, in the event a disaster is likely to strike, or has already struck, provides support to people requiring assistance during a disaster, such as conveying information on the disaster or evacuating with them. Based on the wishes of the person requiring assistance during a disaster, about two people are selected from among local residents, etc. Since supporters provide support based on the volunteer spirit, they do not bear responsibility for the evacuation and guidance, etc. of the persons requiring assistance.

For those who want to help those who require assistance in the event of disaster, please contact the Crisis Management Division or your local district welfare officer. 


Crisis Management Division
TEL 099-216-1213
FAX 099-226-0748

download Adobe Reader

Some of the publications on this site are in PDF format. To view them, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please click the graphic link to download Acrobat Reader.